This is an example of how one idea from a quick simple thumbnail sketch developed into final piece. I sketched out a few other thumbnail concepts and tried to use two when I went to start the digital process, I found at beginning that one concept was going to work a lot better so I focused on that one. As you can see from the sketch I haven't added the title, this is something I like to do when I move onto the digital process. Sometimes I will include the title to the preliminary drawings but most times I end up changing it once I start the next stage so I tend to not always add it in until later.
I used some reference from the film for Jack's face and decided to go with more of scary expression instead of other poster designs I had seen, which seemed to be the same smiling face reference, I wanted to avoid copying others so my idea looked more original. For the title I wanted to bring something new but also capture the feeling for the film and used a font called Ghoulish Fright. I customised the font a little to give it a bit more originality, I think it was the first time were I had altered a font in this way for a design, something that I noticed that happens with the titles of films and thought I should try it for this project to improve the overall look. In the end I had two versions made using slightly different techniques as you can see at the bottom.
Even though the steps might seem simple, and this project was one of the more straight forward ones it took a good seven hours in total, which isn't a lot compared to other projects, which can sometimes take days or even weeks. When you start working on any design or illustration the hours just fly by and you can spend a long time on little things like choosing the right font or colour. I think for me the most of time was spent making sure I had the right font and then making the changes so it all tied together. Sometimes the more simplistic designs can be the hardest to perfect and get right.